Blog 3 Aesthetic Research for Script to Screen

I enjoyed this phase of the project more. I find the research and writing most challenging so focus on the production and creative side suits me best. I also enjoyed exchanging ideas with the rest of the group even when it pushes me out of my comfort zone at times.

For my aesthetic research, I focussed on similar TV shows and films which shared a similar aesthetic and style to our own vision for the film. I took a number of screenshots, visited local pubs and restaurants in Maidstone and in London to identify the type of location that best caters to the look and feel of our film. 

I really liked the natural sound in the Groundhog day scenes and researched sound to better understand how sound is recorded for dialogue scenes and which equipment would work best to achieve the sound. I have not done much work with sound before other than recording interviews so this is something new for me. 

For our group presentation, I put together a slide showing the visuals and standstills I found which were interesting and fitted our desired aesthetic. During the presentation to the group, I explained how I intended to film the scene and what stylistic principles I intend to follow. This discussion helped me shape my vision. 

I found it both interesting and challenging to share ideas with other members of my group during this time. A particular point of discussion was the location for the shoot. After sharing all our research and discussing all the ideas as a group, we decided on a local pub in Maidstone for the location. Our producer liaised with the pub to organise a day for filming. 





My vision is to recreate the Phil and Rita Bar Scene from Groundhog Day in a typical British pub setting with the shot focussed on the two characters sitting isolated at the bar.

I used my notes and reflections to develop my aesthetic vision further. My vison is for the film to feel moody and simple. To achieve this vision, my plan is to use:
  • Natural lighting only – with the shoot taking place in the afternoon to ensure sufficient lighting but not too bright. 
  • Have the characters isolated in their own area of the pub to ensure the films focusses on the characters meeting and not the environment and sounds around them.
  • Simple background imaging with muted colours.
  • Ensure shots are away from other people.
  • Natural sound of the conversation with foley audio of the pub operating in the background.
  • A classic British pub feel with dark wood tones and cream walls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1 Role Research for Script to Screen

Blog 5 Final Evaluation for Script to Screen