Blog 2 Case Study for Script to Screen

Following from my initial research, I have focussed on my deeper case study this week. I have been researching TV dramas as well as films. For my case study I have chosen Groundhog Day because it is one of the films we have considering as the basis for our project. 

Groundhog Day is one of my all-time favourite films so watching it again was a pleasure. This 1993 classic 1993 stars Bill Murray as Phil Connors, a cynical weatherman who finds himself trapped in a time loop, reliving the same day over and over again in the small town of Punxsutawney. As Phil grapples with his situation, he undergoes a transformation from an arrogant, self-centred man to someone who appreciates the people and world around him. While we watch the same day on repeat and time stands still, Phil changes with every replay. 

The cinematography of the film supports the main premise of the film that reliving a day over and over again creates an opportunity to make good for mistakes and even changes your life. 

I have always enjoyed the script and pace of the film. I think it is unique in the way it was executed. It is such a great comedy that makes you go from laughing out loud to feeling sorry for Phil as we warm to his character. Bill Murray's performance is fantastic with perfect comedic timing. Despite the repeating scenes, this is film you can watch over and over again.

 


There are a few scenes in particular which have drawn my attention:

  • Ned Ryerson Scene
  • Phil and Rita’s Date/ Bar Scene
  • Phil’s a God Scene.


 

For our group project, I am particularly interested in the “Phil and Rita Bar Scene”. The scene focuses entirely on the two main characters, Phil and Rita. The scene involves a variety of two shots and one shot. It uses natural lighting that is soft on the subjects and simply effective for the scene. As the scene progresses, Phil learns more about what Rita likes and gets to know her including her favourite cocktail which is a cult drink with Groundhog Day fans. 

As he adapts his responses to Rita and keeps trying his luck, the scene feels just like a natural progression. understands what to say to Rita it feels more natural. Phil and Rita’s relationship grows closer through different replays. As the scene evolves, Rita starts to like Phil.

The scene has influenced me because of its use of camera techniques such as two shots, one shots, dirty shots, and wides all of which I want to capture for our own film. I also want to match the lighting and make our film feel completely natural and not harsh. I like how the dialogue and cinematography work to create the feeling of continuity in the film and take you on aa journey.

As our film is set in England and not America, we will swap the setting of an American Diner for a typical English pub. We will also have to adapt some of the script to feel more British.


Bibliography:
Groundhog Day (1993) Directed by Harold Ramis. Available at: YouTube (Accessed: 23 February 2024).

Gilbey, R. (2018, December 3). Groundhog Day: the perfect comedy, for ever. The Guardian. Available at https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/feb/07/groundhog-day-perfect-comedy-for-ever 

Kuczynski, A. (2003, December 7). Groundhog Almighty. The New York Times. Available at https://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/07/style/groundhog-almighty.html 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1 Role Research for Script to Screen

Blog 3 Aesthetic Research for Script to Screen

Blog 5 Final Evaluation for Script to Screen